Friday, December 4, 2009

Squirrels

I have some squirrels, most of them concentrated in one class. Some are just squirrels, some are surly squirrels, while others are just surly. It's a good time. I spend a lot of time trying to not hate them, but sometimes, they melt my cold, cold heart.

My school's Career Counselor is Awesome. Every fall, she hosts a college options fair for the juniors. They learn about all their post-college options: the UCs, the CSUs, private colleges, community college, technical college, and job training. They learn about the availability of unskilled labor jobs, financial aid, entrance requirements, and transfer options. And my squirrels? All listened politely, took notes, and even asked questions.

Today, two of my squirrels asked me additional questions. Both of them are D students--mostly because they don't turn in their work. One told me he doesn't think he'll graduate! Now, I've had some students (have some students) who WILL NOT graduate--he is not one of them. He is not a great student. His parents did not graduate either, but I know he can make it through. We talked a little bit, but I need to make sure I follow up with him. He's a sweet kid, but he needs a little more discipline and a lot more confidence. Graduating will get him a long way on both those things. The other boy wanted to know about being a Realtor. What did he have to do? How much school? Is it a good job?

In a class of squirrels, I relish the time I get to talk to my kids. I especially love that although many of them seem to think I'm just whatever, others of them find me cool enough and kind enough to trust with questions and concerns that are truly important.

No comments: