I should be grading right now, instead, I am blogging on my phone at the Starbucks. Yes, I know, Starbucks. This town has three more independent coffee shops than bookstores, which means it has three independent coffee shops. But I got a gift certificate to Starbucks fromschjoll, so I'm drinking a free 16 oz. decaf, 2-pump, vanilla latte with whole milk. I feel bad for the guy when he has to repeat that back to me.
Anyhoo, I've been trying to drill parallelism into my kids' heads recently, with limited success. We covered it during rhetorical devices (notice I said "covered" and not "learned" because it's clear they didn't learn it ). But it's a big part if the state tests, not to mention good grammar. So we're doing it again-- the standarized test question way.
Everytime I go over a sentence that has items in a series that are not parallel, I start singing the Sesame Street song "three of these things are not like the other, three of these things are kind of the same..." to myself. I'm imagining a lesson with sentences cut into strips and they have to make them parallel whole I play the song in the background. Or something.
I find myself scouring our books for parallel constructions. Of course, I feel so harried by everything else, that nothing gas cone of this plan--yet. Yet. I guess my ultimate point is that I'm starting to feel like a real English teacher. I guess if you play one on TV long enough, it's bound to happenn.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I understand 16 oz decaf, but after that it's all gibberish.
Maybe sing the Sesame Street song to them... that might be a hook that works?
that nothing gas cone of this plan--yet
gas cone -- now THAT is a new word for standardized testing that I hadn't heard.
Post a Comment