Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This One Scares Me

I saw that one of my students had been dropped from my rolls this morning. It's a usual occurance.

Then her best friend came in and asked if it was true that her friend had been dropped. I told her it was and asked her if she knew what the deal was. Well, she did.

Her friend ran away from home.

Runaway won't tell anyone where she is. Friend talked to Runaway yesterday, but Runaway blocked her number when she called from the land line, so Friend can't get a location. All Friend knows is that Runaway is "staying" with some Gangster guy. Runway is underage; Gangster is 18. Gangster wouldn't take Runaway to his house, just to where his "Homies" stay. Friend says Runaway has greasy hair and her neck is covered with hickies. I don't want to imagine what Runaway is dealing with, but I can and it's not good.

Friend keeps telling Runaway to COME HOME, but Runaway won't listen. Friend had her own runaway moment last year, and says it was the hardest week of her life and she will never do it again. Runaway still won't listen and says Friend doesn't understand.

Runaway lives with her Sister, who is pregnant. It seems that Runaway ran away because she ditched school and didn't want to get in trouble. Sister doesn't care; she doesn't care about anything except Runaway being home and safe.

The (thin) silver lining is that Friend is talking to Runaway and is also willing to tell adults what she knows. Friend knows what information would be useful, and is trying to get it out of Runaway. Friend also reached out to our school's social worker. Social Worker knows both girls, and is perhaps the adult at school most able to help. I talked to CPS, but there is nothing for me to "report".

The whole thing sucks. I'm really worried about Runaway. Running away is never a laughing matter, but especially not in this town with its population and crime scene. I know that teens make mistakes and can learn from them; I hope that she makes it through intact (mentally, emotionally, and/or physically) so that she has the opportunity to learn.

1 comment:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

This job will kill you if you let it.

I hope it all works out for Runaway, and for Friend. Sometimes it's harder being the Friend. I'm glad you've got Friend's back, too.