Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Random Musings

Today, about half of my students weren't in class when the bell rang. And it was a late-start day. You tell me where they were, if not in class. Well, two days before break, I wans't about ready to go through some big teaching lesson that I would just have to repeat for everyone else anyway. A few students did trickle in, but there were still 8 students missing. So I did a listening comprehension activity.

It sounds pretty baby. I read a story. They listen and draw pictures. However, my education has told me that many students struggle with that part of reading. They don't know that good readers create pictures in their head as they read. Listening is a standard, too. It's actually a fairly complicated task, when you think about it. Listen to a story. Pick out key images. Imagine what they look like. Translate that to paper. Keep on listening to the story. It takes some mental gymnastics. Of course, it wasn't super planned, because I had to scrap my lesson when half the class was missing at 9am.'

Of course, today was the day when my New Teacher Support Liason (or whatever) decided to come visit. (My students had, of course, wanted to do "nothing" today. Thank God I always refuse that offer.) Later, when I saw her, she made a short comment about their age. Like the lesson was too baby. F you, woman. I have students reading at a 3rd - 5th grade level. (Not all of them, but more than one.) Most are below grade level. So you tell me that baby is baby for kids below grade level? They NEED to be met at their level. (Teaching English Learners Lesson #37.)

Anyway. End of class, kid who transferred in a few weeks ago (something wrong with one of his other classes) with a 26% was wondering about his grade. Yes, you are still failing. Yes, your grade comes with you. So, why was he not doing work. I get my favorite response, "Ms. XXXXX isn't a good teacher." Ugh. I hate that for a few reasons. 1) I know there are students who say that about me (of course, they don't tell you someone else is bad when they think YOU are bad); 2) It absolves the students of all personal responsibility; 3) It's not very polite, respectful, or empathetic. I know this teacher is an intern, a wonderful woman, and doing her absolute best. (I know the same thing about myself -- except for the intern part, and I know some students think I suck. I don't, it's just a reality of being a new teacher.)

Anyway, after sorting through how her teaching style doesn't matter and not doing the work really only hurts him, he (and another kid hanging around) told me I was a good teacher. It's nice to hear from time to time. They think I make things fun and class isn't boring. I think that they bring that with them. I feed off of their energy. But if they want to think it's me -- OK! (I know, where is my "personal responsibility" speech now? Well, it's all about me, right? Right.)

Oh, and about the story. I took time at the end of class to walk around the room. I made myself check in with students who don't talk in class. I made them describe their pictures to me. Especially students who are English learners. In general, EL students do not talk enough at school. And one of my brats actually drew a couple of pictures. He didn't draw much, but it's the most work he's done in quite some time. But the lesson is too baby. Heaven forbid I let my students succeed at something.

What's that saying? Oh yeah -- Nothing breeds success like success.

(If you couldn't hear it in my typing, I'm totally being sarcastic there. Not the quote, that part is true.)

3 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Keep on doing what you know is right. A lot of educators will think you're nuts, but a lot won't. Over time, you'll build a reputation and some trust among students, parents, and fellow educators, and while some will still think you're nuts, they'll at least start to believe that you know what you're doing.

Unknown said...

Sadly, your New Teacher Support Liaison (NuTSLi will be my new acronym) doesn't have much understanding of literacy strategies.

I often read out loud to my students, and I teach science. Sounds like you're on the right track to me. Keep the faith!

Katie said...

Visualization is an important comprehension strategy at any stage of literacy. Evoking images using all five senses is anchored in prior knowledge and we (although not your mentor) know how important it is to tap into that resource.

Keep up the good work. I'm afraid your mentor has left her schema at the door. Time for her to brush up on her metacognition.