I've had lots of stuff floating around my head, but not enough time, determination, or focus to share. Oh well. One of these days. So here's just a brief moment of hilarity from today.
This makes more sense if you watch The Wire and/or are familiar with common drug-dealing slang. What you need to understand is "re-up".
I had my students build daybooks today. Oh yes, they now have all the assignments (minus only one essay) that we'll be working on for the next 5 weeks. :-D For the daybook, you pick up the papers and some construction paper (for covers) and staple it all together into a book. I have two staplers, but first block stood there like, well, morons waiting for one stapler when the other ran out of staples. After a few minutes of students standing around like bumps on logs, I asked what was up. I was a bit exasperated that I had to tell them to bring me the stapler for more staples. I told my other classes not to stand around if they ran out of staples.
One of my students in 3rd block is disengaged from school in a MAJOR way (he is about 2 1/2 years behind in credits -- yup, that means he's failed almost every class in high school); this is a hint that he has larger issues outside of school, like possible gang affiliation. He comes to school because he has to in order to keep his PO off his back, not because he has any desire to actually graduate. Sure enough, 3rd ran out of staples and he walked up to me with the stapler and says, "Hey, Ms. X*, I need a re-up."
It was so awesome. I laughed. I've got him asking for a re-up of staples. I live in The Wire. Sometimes, it's even funny.
*Names have been changed to protect, well, me.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How interesting we started both our posts the same way...
That's a good day. Bank that one and withdraw from it later.
Post a Comment