Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Door Prizes

The library at my school had an open house on Monday. Yes, an open house. You know, come on by the library and see all the new books and resources, have some snacks, and chat up the librarians. My librarian is pretty tight. Woman knows her shiznit and is very helpful and friendly. And she's always getting supplies for use newbies. She's the school's new teacher resource/liason/leader whatever. Whatever you call her, she rocks.

Well, at said open house, I put my name in the hat for the door prizes. They had some really cool, useful prizes -- like the 16-pack of multi-colored Sharpies or the 8-pack of dry erase markers. Since I'm always up for a prize, I folded the corner of my slip of paper -- to make it easier to grab, right? That's a trick I learned at some conference once, not that I've found it all that successful.

Anyway, I hang out in the library at lunch, then run back to my 5th period class. No word on when the prizes will be handed out. The next morning, a student wanders into my room, looking a bit like Banquo hiding behind vegetation. Well, vegetables, to be honest. Glass vegetables, actually.

Yes, my door prize was a giant bowl of glass fruit -- just what every new teacher wants and needs. Especially a new teacher who doesn't even have enough desk space for all her pieces of paper. I couldn't stop laughing. My students thought it was a bit strange, too. Oh, and I really need fist-sized glass objects around my Hellclasses, right? Just in case they feel the need to start throwing things.

Anyway, I left one apple at school -- I figure I can be a cliche and have an apple on my desk, and took the rest home (for lack of a better storage space -- not that I have any storage space at home, either). Don't believe me? Check it out.


A bowl of (glass) fruit

2 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Well, at least you won something, right? It looks like a perfect yard sale item.

Anonymous said...

Hey... Nice apples!