Friday, September 5, 2008

The Look

We all know someone with "the Look", right? Our Moms all had the Look. The Look will stop you in your tracks. Even if you've done nothing wrong, the Look will make you think you have.

I have spent years perfecting the Look, and I don't even have kids. I have, however, spent far too many days and nights in the company of children masquerading as adults. From high school on, I have spent more than my fair share of time in the company of the male of the species. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my time with boys: they're silly and funny and exuberant. But they have warranted quite a few Looks -- making me an expert.

So today, at the end of a less horrible time with my Hellclass, I was looking over at Spike. Spike has been a bane of my existence (I have more than one, if that's possible) since Day One. And there he is, making some bizarre face at me. So, I turn up the Look and remind him that he's got to spend some time with me after class. (Which I did en Espanol -- well, a little bit en Espanol.)

After class he tells me that I have this really "hard" look, like I'm "007" or something (his words, not mine). He was trying to imitate me.

He's actually pretty cute when he's not making my life a living Hell. Trying to imitate my Look. He obviously doesn't understand that men have a difficult giving the Look and he does not have enough experience to do it properly anyway. Poor baby.

No comments: