I'm really only here to shut down my computer, but I'm doing so because my favoritest movie (of the past few years) in on HBO. Also happens to be my most-recently favorite book. OK, no more making you guess, it's Atonement. I read the book last summer when I begged the woman at Powell's to recommend a book that had plot and characters -- after 15 months of grad school, I needed a story already. She told me about Atonement, although feared it would be too depressing for me. I told her I didn't care as long as it had a plot.
I started reading the book, and at first I was a little ambivalent (it's a vocab word from last week), but after 50 pages I realized that I couldn't put it down. And by the end? I realized that it answered the question, "Why do we write?".
Although maybe it just answers the question, "Why do I wish I could write?"
Regardless, the book is excellent, as is the movie. I highly recommend either.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I just realized we didn't have Hitchhiker's Guide in the house. So I bought it on an impulse.
Now your geek nephew and niece will have it on hand when they feel the urge to explore the greater implications of "42". Thought you might appreciate that.
By the way, the word verification "word" is "augasy". Seems like it should mean something real, doesn't it?
Once, there was a young girl serving as acolyte for a Christmas Eve service who is asked by her Pastor what the meaning of life is. He's trying to put together a cute intro to his sermon. I think my family was the only one who understood what "42" meant.**
**True story. I couldn't have set it up had I tried.
And I think we should come up with a definition for augasy.
Post a Comment