I am in love... with my new teaching technique. Well, it's not really a "teaching" technique. It's more of a motivational policy.
Here it is.
"You have options. Don't let anyone fool you; you always have options. You can choose to do your class work, or you can choose to do your work in detention. You will serve detention with me, today, after school to finish your classwork."
Oh, they hem and haw: "But I can't stay after school." "Are you going to drive me home?" "What if I have to leave for an emergency." The answer, however, is pretty simple, "Then choose to do your work in class." It is your choice. If you do not want to stay after school, then work during classtime. (Time is a scare resource, by the way, and so must be used wisely.)
The wording is critical: it is the student's choice. It is not something (else) that I do to them. Oh, sure, I am leading them towards the choice I want them to make, but it is ultimately their decision. They are aware of the consequences of their choices from the outset. And I tell them that I will have the campus supervisors deliver them to my room to serve detention, so they can't just blow it off.
And you know what? Students who have not done any work all year got some work done on Friday. Not necessarily a lot of work, or great work, but work. One student refused. He got brought brought in for detention. Then he pushed past me when the bell rang. It's another choice he made. Now he'll be up for expulsion for pushing a teacher. It is all his choice.
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'll call tomorrow when it's an acceptable time for both of us and no little ears are listening. Some things just freak out 9&10 year old neices and nephews, you know?
Post a Comment