Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Few More Reflections

I'm sure I've told you about the self-reflections I have my students complete at the end of each quarter. Bla bla bla: based on my CT's lessons and the truest expression of his awesomeness as a teacher.

Anyway. At the end of the semester, I ask them to evaluate not only their academic work and their participation, but the class and my teaching. It's only fair. Of course, I get a lot of the usual: this class is boring, you should be more strict (generally spelled strick), you should lighten up, you suck (in so many words), we should do more fun things (with no explanation of what is fun), this class is OK, this class is cool. And, I get some things I know: we should do more work in groups, you should only keep in the kids who are misbehaving, we should read more interesting books (take it up with the department). You know, the usual. And then a few of them stand out.

From a student who is stubborn, defiant, tardy, truant, and a general pain in my ass: "Your cool. And I'm not trippen." (I actually like the kid, he's just a royal pain as a student.) From a quiet student in an abnoxious class: "I like that you keep teaching when the class is disruptive. Other teachers will just give us worksheets and sit behind their desk."