Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why Don't They Look?

A kid was transferred into my class during the last week of the quarter. The grade that showed up on his little transfer sheet was a C+. The kid shows me this. Cool.

I put grades in, but he is not on my computer screen for grades. His grade will be input by his previous teacher. There is some deadline for switching and who is responsible for grades. Whatever.

A few weeks later, the student asks me about his grade, because he didn't get one, and it's important for his sports eligibility. So, I start to dig. Go see his previous teacher -- yes, he did put in a grade for this student. His actual grade? An F. 59.34% or something. So, where did this C+ come from?

Well, the grade is there and because I am not the teacher responsible for the grade, I can't change it. This kid had a piece of paper that said he had a C+, but the grade in the computer gradebook and in the computer report card is an F.

What the?

How should I handle it? Take his transfer grade or his actual grade? Why would you lie so much on a transfer grade report? I can see rounding up to a D, but a C+? This kid was told he had a C+ a few days before the quarter ends, but oops! Just kidding -- it's really an F.

Seriously people. Not cool.

2 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Ug.

Unknown said...

You can't trust his prior teacher's assessments, so neither can you trust his transfer grade. Give him a fresh start, a clean slate. His grade in your class will be his grade in your class. And make sure he knows it. We do not have to prioritize solidarity of adults in positions of power over respect for the point of view and needs of a child.