Friday, October 3, 2008

When I was Young, Prices Were Reasonable, Politicians Were Noble, and Children Respected Their Elders

Homecoming is coming up in a couple of weeks and my school's theme is ridiculous. No, the theme is not "act as outrageous as you can" (although it might as well be); it's something bizarre like Music in Las Vegas. What? What do Las Vegas or musical genres have to do with high school, football, or winning (and isn't that what Homecoming is about)? Oh yeah, I forgot; they have NOTHING to do with Homecoming.

In my day, the Homecoming theme was directly tied to our Homecoming rival. If we played Massabesic, the theme was Purple People Eaters (I forget their mascot, but it's purple). The theme related to our stated goal of winning, because "you've got to win! You've got to be number one!"

Maybe it's that my new football team doesn't win every game (unlike my high school team). Maybe they just do themes differently out here on the Wrong Coast. But I can't help but know that my way is better. Our skits, chants, cheers, and floats all tied directly to beating the crap out of the other team, not to some random travel brochure. Come on people, kick some rival team ass!

I also used to walk 10 miles to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways.

But trust me on the sunscreen.



P.S. 5 points for each pop cultural reference you correctly cite. I admit that I found one on a re-read I didn't intentionally include.

3 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Homecoming here just makes me mad. There's this crazy idea that the class advisors are PART of the class! Expected to do the actual BUILDING! I just can't cope. Never mind that it comes down to dress up days and float making. Oh, and a big field day. No skits, no writing-- nothing to appeal to the non-athletes in the school. Oh, right, because we don't believe the non athletes have value....

This year's theme is classic movies. I think I'll skip the parade and pick my own classic movie to keep me entertained.

Bah, humbug.

Unknown said...

Music in Las Vegas? I'd rather "Thanksgiving in Reno" by my all time favorite band, Too Much Joy.

Not that I know anything about Las Vegas except that they have slot machines in the airport and the Jose Cuervo restaurant serves margaritas with breakfast...but I think I'm more a Reno kind of guy. First of all, I love Janet Reno. And despite all the cool flying Elvi, I really agree with the sentiment of "Leaving Las Vegas". I don't really get the allure of Sin City.

Mike said...

Editorial note:

Massabesic Mustangs and the team color is green.

"It's easy beating green."