Saturday, January 3, 2009

There and Back Again: A Christmas Holiday

The trip back south was rather bland. Actually, the good times were good, but the driving was dull.

I made it from Portland to Roseburg on Thursday, stopping off in Eugene along the way to pick up M. Actually, it was a little rainy, kinda heavy at times when leaving Portland, but I survived. No hydroplaning, no washed out bridges, nothing crazy.

Then, M and I spent the night in Roseburg with Cialis. I don't think I've laughed that hard since the Fun Group was trying to make me squeak a few Christmases back. Except this time, I was adding more to the conversation. I can't breathe around the Fun Group. We told old jokes, made up new jokes, was "that group" of women at the Freddies. I even pegged my jeans, a la 1986, just because I could. Boy, was that ever a stupid look.

We stayed up late watching "scary movies" and drinking wine. Of course, the power started to flicker just as we started getting ready for bed. Nothing says, "You'll have nightmares tonight" like a power outage after a zombie movie. We got to bed so late, we didn't get up until late. I hit the road (after some yummy blueberry pancakes) around 12:30.

It was raining in Oregon, and it changed to snow around 3500'. Fortunately, it wasn't sticking. So, I went a little slow over the Siskiyou pass, but it turned back to rain at about 3700' on the other side (I-5 hits about 4200' over the pass -- highest point on I-5!) and then pretty much stopped precipitating at all.

I managed to stop at the TJ's along the way and was still home by 9:15. Not bad time.

I already miss Portland. I bought a fancy Bodum single-serving presspot travel mug and made some Stumptown coffee. It was almost like being back.

1 comment:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I hope you make the kind of friends in CA as you have in the other Portland... or that you are able to move back. Eating is good, jobs are wonderful when they're fulfilling, but none of it is worth it without friends to share it with.

love you.