Monday, April 20, 2009

Is That What I Think It Is?

On my last day of Spring Break (it was really my Easter Vacation day, but whatever), I decided to get some lunch. I had seen the Bar & Grill for awhile, but hadn't been by. But it looked like a decent-enough place, clean, plastic lines. You know, a Bar in a Box.

So I paid my taxes and spent money I didn't have on lunch. I ordered a burger and a Coke, took out my grading, and got to work. The burger came. I noticed the anaemic bun and the lack of mayo (grr!), but I was hungry so I started eating.

Cheeseburger

Wait a minute... does this burger taste like... a burger?

I opened up the lid to take a closer look at the patty. Check this out.

The Actual Patty

Yes, those are irregular edges you see on that patty. Do you know what irregular edges mean? It means someone's hands touched the burger. I know this connection between people and our food is supposed to gross us out. People do bad things, right? But the thing is, food tastes a whole lot worse (and carries just as much nasty buggies) when it only touches machines. We are far too disconnected from our food.

This burger was a hand-formed patty! No wonder it tasted like a burger and not a warm piece of cardboard. Mayo or no mayo, this is the best burger I've had since I left Durham. (Wimpy's Grill -- I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing beats a burger made from freshly ground beef. Nothing. Floofy buns or no floofy buns.) Sure, the man forgot the mayo. But he kept on foisting Coke on me (I do love my soda, too, especially while grading), didn't call me pet names, and wasn't overwhelmingly chipper and annoying. The fries were good, too. They weren't anything special, but they were hot, crispy, and lightly coated with a not-too-annoying seasoning.

This is how good the burger was.

Burger Gone!

And, they are a BAR & Grill, which means they shouldn't close at annoying times on me, like at 3pm on a Sunday. Yay bars!

No comments: