Sunday, April 19, 2009

Some Days Are Better Than Others

I went for a run today. I *finally* managed to find the elusive Fort Ord Dunes State Park. Heaven forbid you take 2nd to 8th over the overpass. No you take 2nd past 8th to something else with a teeny sign saying "Fort Ord Dunes State Park" right. Then you turn right again, then left, then right, THEN left across the overpass to the parking lot. What. Ever.

Anyway, I started running and I was just not feeling it. I don't know. Maybe it was some combination of heat (it was very warm today), low-level dehydration, not enough calories (I got a later start than I had intended due to all the driving around), built-up tiredness, and the 2/3 into the program blas. Whatever it was, although nothing felt horrible in isolation (my lungs weren't burning, no blisters, knees fine), I was just not there mentally. Well, my conscious mind said, "Keep going," but my body and my subconscious were saying, "Oh, just walk already." My body finally won out. I did walk, not stroll. And that means I did get some exercise and distance, but not what I should have done. Oh well. I am only me, after all. I never was/never will be a world-class runner. Hell, I'll never be anyone who is a contender in any race.

However, I did actually pay my money for the race this evening, so there's not going back. I am registered to run on May 17th. eep.

No comments: