Thursday, August 20, 2009

Atta Boy!

On the positive side...

On Tuesday I noticed that our fly new student data system (note: that is not sarcastic or ironic, it is totally a fly system) was not printing out the first day of school for half of my classes. Call it my obsessiveness, call it my attention to detailed honed at a Pacemaker newspaper in college, call it what you will, but I realized that meant that the new system didn't think I would see half of my classes.

You see, we are on a block schedule, so on most Wednesdays, I only see half my classes. On the first day of school, though, we pretend it's a Monday and I see all of my classes. I emailed my counseling AP, but then said something to him when I saw him on campus. You know, was it going to be an attendance nightmare when the fly new student data system (we'll just call it the FNSDS from now on) wouldn't let the teachers enter data for half of the day?

I saw him again hours later in the parking lot. He was beyond grateful that I had discovered the error. It took him a bit of time on the phone with the downtown office, but it was far less time than entering 6600 (or so) attendendance notes without the fix.

The following day (yesterday), I was walking to the office on my prep and the admin team (plus maybe a district dude or two) were in the principal's office (which I walk by on the way to the office). The counseling VP saw me and waved me in. Of course, there was a moment of fear -- me? the principals' office? what??!?! But in I went, and he then introduced me as the person who single-handedly saved the school from a huge attendance nightmare. I got a couple handshakes out of the deal, too.

I ended it my usual way: "Thank you, I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waiter or waitress."

No comments: