Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dear Mrs. Houghton

Dear Mrs. Houghton,
I was in the staff lounge (did you know that I now teach high school English?), thumbing through a stack of posters that someone had left lying around. I'm sure they do the same thing back at BHS: put whatever they don't want in the staff lounge because someone else is bound to want it. I'm sure in five years I'll have enough crap that I'll be doing the same thing; for now, however, I take rather than give.

So there I was, looking through the pile and not expecting to find much, when I saw THE poster. I know you remember it. It's the alphabet in butterfly wings. I instantly remembered sitting in pre-calc when your poster arrived in the mail. We were all a little whatever about it until you explained that it wasn't a poster of drawings, but photographs of actual butterfly wings. And those wings, amazingly, spelled out the letters of the alphabet.

It leaves me hopeful that some of the things I do will stay with my students, even 16 years later, even if it's nothing but a cool poster.

Sincerely,
Caroline

P.S. I also remember that the sine of 30 is 1/2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee Hee... I remember that poster