Monday, August 17, 2009

A Set Up

I have been in room assignment Hell. I know it's really not personal, but it's starting to feel personal.

I show up on Friday to pick up my key. There is no key to be found. I find the head custodian to let me in my room; he says it's not my room. After a whole bunch of back-and-forth, he decides (based on the master schedule) that it IS my room. Theoretically, they will move all of my stuff from my old room to my new room (all of which I tagged before I left from summer school). I even review with him that there's a bit of furniture, some boxes in the cabinets, and I'll need the filing cabinet since everyone else took theirs.

Of course, I can't get in on Saturday, because I don't have a key. It's still with the previous teacher.

Today, I corral the previous teacher, and he says that he does have the key: no one had time to take it back from him on Thursday when he tried to turn it in.

So I get my key (finally), around 11:30am. I stick my head in my room, and I see my bookshelf and my stool, but none of my stuff. No books, no paper, no files, no filing cabinet. Nada.

After more staff development, I get the head custodian to meet me at my old room so I can get the rest of my stuff. He shows up with the key and a dolly (as requested), and leaves me. Actually, he does stick around long enough for me to give him some brownies (which I origially baked to thank them all for moving my stuff --- WHICH THEY DIDN'T DO). I thought it might get me some help. Nope. He just left. So all the other teachers who changed classrooms got the custodial staff to move their stuff, but not me. I got to take 6 trips with the dolly between my old room and my new room.

I have nothing on the walls. I have no syllabus. I have no lesson plans. I have nothing. But I did have the chance to waste two hours moving boxes. With two guys and a Gator, it probably would have taken 30 mintues to move the boxes/furniture. I am still new enough at this whole teaching thing that I need every moment I can get. But help? That I can not get.

I did get my friend to help me move my stack of posters (which can not be loaded onto a dolly). She realized I was at my last straw when I almost started crying. I did not cry last year. I didn't cry during student teaching. But this? It has been one frustration after another and I am fed up. I do not feel welcome or valued. I feel like I'm being set up for failure, actually.

3 comments:

raiderfanmarc77 said...

C'mon Ms. S...Just know that you do a wonderful job with the students and there's not set up. Our custodial dude can be a bit of a... I'll let you fill it in with any four letter word you wish to use. You're good..keep doing what you do!

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Take the half full approach: it can't get any worse starting like this. The kids will be a treat!

Traveling Jones said...

Well, sometimes you just gotta get it off your chest before it festers and starts smelling. I feel better now.