You know what I hate? Really, really, really hate? (And I don't hate a lot of things.)
I hate veteran teachers who tell me what to do. I don't mean veterans who offer advice or support. I don't mean veteran teachers who share what they've learned and listen to my concerns, problems, and ideas. No, I mean veteran teachers who tell me, in no uncertain terms, to not do whatever it is I'm doing.
And I'm not talking about illegal stuff (which I don't do anyway). But this isn't some "Don't take students home in your car" or "Don't give gifts to students" telling. This is the "Don't take work home, ever." "Stop getting to work early right now!" You know, I know I work too much. I know that it is not healthy to spend as much time at work as I do. But I have to do that right now in order to make it through this year, and probably next. If you wanted to be helpful, you'd ask me what I'm doing, offer some kind suggestions, and then give me a stack of curriculum that I can rip-and-read. Because without it, it's all hot air. Until I have my own stack of curriculum, it's going to be early mornings and late nights and Saturday with the red pen. It just is, so stop yelling at me already; you're not helping!
(BTW, this rant is not directed at anyone reading this blog.)
I've got some classroom management issues, so I'm trying some new things. Maybe I needed to tell my mentor more about the meeting with my principal (and he was very supportive), but still, I need to change some things, now. I need to at least TRY new stuff. But she immediately tells me don't do this and make sure you do that -- but never once does she really stop and ask why I'm making these decisions, what do I hope to accomplish, or where did I get my ideas from.
I am not an idiot. I have a Master's degree (she does not -- although she does have a number of years of experience on me). I have had wonderful mentors -- WONDERFUL. But she starts in on this and that and what she does. Well, I don't have a calendar from my department telling me what to teach, exactly, and by when. I don't have a book that I can pull out and assign any number of problems from and then grade in a black/white, yes/no, on/off, one/zero manner. I have essays and paragraphs and decisions about how many points this error is or that... and when it's late, it a0 takes me forever to remember the finer points and b) does not make for the most fair or accurate grading. And I LIKE getting to talk to my students, and my plan makes that happen.
Yeah, one-third of them might fail if I don't accept late work. And that looks bad on me, and I might get fired. But if I keep up what's going on, and let them be slack about everything and not hold them to deadlines so they are even more inclined to goof off in class, then I'll get fired anyway.
Not that she really stopped to figure that out.
Thank you to those of you who have truly listened to my problems and my ideas and have offered constructive, helpful, caring advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Monday, March 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Figuring your way to who you are as a teacher is not easy. Blech. Kind of like figuring out who you are as a person, but with the responsibility of helping students figure out who they are as a person.
You should talk to WB about late work. He's got a neat perspective on accepting it late. It might help you think about how you want to handle the topic.
Good luck.
Post a Comment