Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Hate My Town

This could as easily be titled "I Miss Portland". I know, more whining from the Queen of the Whine. Is it any wonder I love cheese?

Anyhow, I am sitting in a coffee shop in Santa Cruz that I picked randomly off the Web. It could almost me Portland in here. The space is open and bright, with exposed beams, local art on the wall, and the sort of hanging chalkboard menus that are typical of McMenamins. They have self-serve drip decaf (which trumps even P-town), and the best sandwich I have had the pleasure of buying in quite some time. You can't get a good sandwich in my flour-tortilla town to save your life.

The sandwich is a simple veggie sandwich, if you can call toasted (yes, toasted!) sourdough with mayo, mustard, and hummus, romaine lettuce, red onion, tomato, avacado, cucumber, and Swiss and cheddar cheese "simple". The only thing that could improve this sandwich would be some melty--although then it would get greasy and lose that fresh, hippie, earth-lover, naturalist vibe. So maybe, I'd use a cheese spread instead--I could see this as a pimento cheese type thing. But I'm merely suggesting a little gilding on the lily here.

More about running when I'm not abusing my iPhone.

1 comment:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

With any luck someone else needs an English or history teacher.