I decided to take Lolita out for some cross-training -- but longer cross-training that I'm supposed to since I've been so slack. I did a little Web searching, and realized that there's a coastal bike trail: the Monterey Bay Coastal Bike Path. You can order the bike map online, but then it's not available immediately. So I drove to REI to see if they had a map. The nice man at REI didn't have a map, but he did tell me how I could get onto the path a few short blocks (and three dangerous intersections) away. So, I left the car in at REI and pedaled away.
Througout this entire process, I find myself saddened by my physical state of being. I used to get on Lolita and ride 30 miles without thinking about it much. Today, I made it 10 miles (or so), and I was definitely wiped out. It's good that I'm doing this, but damn, I do not want to fall back to this level again. It is so not cool.
It was a gorgeous ride, though. Of course, on one side of the path are speeding cars on Highyway 1, but on the other are dunes and the ocean. The flowers are all starting to bloom and everything is beige and green and red and orange. And, on the way back I finally got my bike computer working! Turns out, it wasn't the cadence sensor at all, it was the wheel sensor. Silly me. So, by the next ride I'll have some good stats for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment