Sunday, March 8, 2009

Some Not So Good Things

Some not-so-good news today.

First, I was origionally just going to write to tell y'all how lame I felt for all the walking I did today. I went back to my county park and started out, but those hills are tough. My town is flat-as-a-pancake, and I am just not used to any sort of elevation, even the really slight kind that looks flat, but isn't. My steps are tiny, my legs hurt, and the walking just takes over.

Now, I'm pretty sure I still ran more than half of the time. And I was out for 75 minutes. I did run a considerable bit on the return trip -- and didn't feel totally spent. Of course, that means I have far more energy than I am using on the uphills; I'm being lazy. It does make me think that I need to find a way to get some hill work in. Serious hill work. Like, run up the hill, walk down, repeat, ad nauseum (I'm only slightly joking about that last bit).

But then, while chatting with Shells this afternoon (she wants to come out and join me for the race), I found out some bad information. I waited too long to register and the race is full. :-( I was waiting to get paid, and then I had this issue with a new debit card... and now it's too late. So, Baby Mama is going to be disappointed. I might still go with her, but maybe not. It'll be a pretty expensive trip anyway (the race itself is $70 and that doesn't include the wine tasting at the end, plus travel and accommodations).

Shells however, not to be discouraged, immediately went and found more races. So we're thinking of doing a half a week later in Half Moon Bay, which is about two hours or so from here. We can do our own wine tasting in the area (for less money), and stay at my place (for less money), and the race is significantly less expensive ($35). I'm also looking at picking up a 5/10K in Santa Cruz over my spring break, to get a little race time in. It's a "challenging" course, which will probably kick my ass, but my ass could use a little kicking.

1 comment:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

That is a bummer, but file it under 'everything happens for a reason' and take the cheaper option as a gift :)