Baby Mama has convinced me to run a half marathon. Well, a half of a half marathon, so that's really only a quarter marathon. And if you further consider that makes the distance between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 miles -- which was just an average day back in high school -- it seems like a perfectly reasonable goal.
Of course, I haven't run seriously since high school, if you can call the running that I did in high school "serious". I have been getting slowly more sedentary as the years have gone by. Sure, there was the Summer of Six Summits when I was in pretty good shape. But since then, injury, grad school, work, and my own essential laziness have conspired to keep me from working out. So 6 1/2 miles seems like quite a long way. I'd love to be able to bust out the full 13 1/2 miles (or whatever approximation of "busting out" my running conjures up), but I don't know if that's really doable between now and Mother's Day.
So, I just did it. I used Google Maps to mark out a 2 mile loop near my house (I love Google Maps, it was sooooo much easier than driving around the neighborhood looking at my odometer) and I started running. (Along with channeling my 16-year-old self, I am also channeling the classic Nike commercials.) I'd run until I felt like I had to give up, and I'd walk the rest of the way back -- but I was at least getting 20 minutes of aerobic exercise regardless. This started just over a week ago. And today, I ran the full two miles. Well, if you can call a 12.5 minute mile "running".
I just channeled my young self, back when I was too stupid or idealistic to know when to give up, and kept putting down the other foot. And today I also had that feeling that I'd made it past the beginning bla's and was ready to start running. How to explain?
When I hike, I feel like crap for about the first 10 minutes. I get all out of breath instantly, my chest tightens up, my muscles get all hot, and I get insanely discouraged by the task ahead of me. I just want to turn around and take a nap with potato chip crumbs stuck to my chin. But after that 10 minutes, I get my wind and can keep going for a long time. Granted, I go slowly for a long time, but I can bust out the 10-12 mile, 3500'+ hikes/climbs. That is not insignificant.
So today, I was realizing that when I was stopping during those first two miles, I hadn't even made it past the crappy feeling yet. I was just giving in before my body had a chance to get used to the elevated heart and respiration rate and settled down in something resembling submission. So, I ran through it today and lo-and-behold, I ran the two mile loop.
Maybe it was just that I started running while it was raining, and I had forgotten how much I love running in the rain. It was a light rain, but a good rain. The air was clean and fresh, my shoes shouldn't glow in the dark anymore, and running through puddles is just fun.
I figure another week of feeling OK with the (short) distance, and I can start seriously working on getting ready for a half of a half marathon.
"I like to run; it makes me smile. I think I'll go another mile."
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. I'm impressed. I've vowed I'll never run another step for exercise. Emergency, sure, but when I channel my 16 year old self, I remember that I hated every step. Loved the boys, loved Mr. B, but hate, hate, hated running.
Just think that 7ish miles is the run up the Payne Rd to Lisa's Pizza by the mall. Did you ever do that run? It was a cool idea... but still hated it. Glad we got rides back.
And Girly wonders if you know all those words are spelled with C's...
Sounds like you need to remind Girly how Crazy Aunt Carrie got that name... by being KRAZY! :-)
We never did the pizza run. It was only 7 miles? I thought it was more like 10-12. And, of course, the Killer Hill with the false summit. Damn those false summits!
But, that gives me a good gauge for how far I can go. If y'all can do the Pizza Run, then I can. So I can break the race down into "Pizza Runs", as in: "Only half a Pizza Run left!". That's how I measure elevation in climbing -- by Dog Mountains. I can hike Dog Mtn, so Mt. Hood is only 1 1/2 Dog Mtns. I can do that.
Post a Comment