I ran 3.5 miles today, and I feel pretty good. Towards the end I was pretty amazed at how quickly my slack-ass body succombed to my physical demands. I mean, I've let my body get laaaaazy, and it's picking back up like it remembers what it means to exercise.
I guess it does remember, and even likes, what it means to exercise. Oh, I'm still slower than slow. The Mazamas would rank me as a "1", and I'm OK with that. It took me 45 minutes to run 3.5 miles -- that's about a 13 minute mile. Although, the half marathon I'm looking at only demands a 15 minute mile. Now *that* is slow.
So if I can just keep up my slow-ass pace for about 10 more miles, I'll finish within the alotted time. I might finish last, but at least they'll wait for me. Of course, I'm running on flat, and there are some hills on the race course. But there are also 10 weeks between now and then, and I should be able to get myself to something closer to a 10 minute mile. No, I am not trying to break any land-speed records. Viva la tortoise! is my motto.
Back to my run. I used Google Maps (again) to figure out a 3 mile loop, but with my crazy neighborhood, that means going up and down streets to work it out while avoiding stupid big roads with lots of stinky cars -- so I forgot one turn. Instead of running 3.1, it turned into 3.5. And I could still finish strong.
I can do this. I'm gonna do the whole 13 miles, damnit.
Oh, and I Google Mapped the Pizza Run, and it looks like it was about 13 miles. I thought 7 was too close to get from Biddo to South Portland. So, I just have to think of this as the Pizza Run that I never did, except this race is in wine country, so there will be wine waiting for me at the end.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh-- I never ran the whole way from school to pizza-- the boys did that. We only ran the Payne Road-- Mr. B. dropped us at the beginning. But a wine run *might* get me to do it... but only if it was a walk. I'd walk anywhere...
I'm getting you a shirt that says Viva la tortoise for your race.
Post a Comment