Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Climbing To the Clouds

I went to the Y this afternoon to check out their rock wall for my cross-training day. Let's just say that when you have as weak an uppper body as I do, the day after lifting weights isn't the best day to continue with an upper body workout. At least I got my heart rate up pretty quickly, though.

I only did two routes -- and I didn't even follow the routes, I'm that lame. I tried to on the second one (it was easier), but I couldn't really find the routes that well, my arms were tired and shaky, and I didn't really trust the belayer. I mean, she's got one of those auto things, so she doesn't even have to do anything; not much will happen if she lets go of the rope. I still prefer a belayer who is watching me and taking up my slack. I've always been on the cautious side.

Still, it's not too bad a wall considering it's in a closet. It's about 30' and it's got some overhangs and varying degrees, so the routes actually are easier and harder. They have the supid holds that look like letters and numbers, though. I guess they're great for kids, but I've never seen a rock that looks exactly like the letter Q. I'm jus' sayin'.

Anyway, I listened to my body and kept the workout to about 20 minutes. My arms were tired and my heart rate was up. That seems sufficient here at the beginning. As the weeks progress, I should be able to do more and more without being so lame.

Tomorrow is another 5am running day... so I'm going to go roll with my dept. chair. We'll probably only bowl a game or two, though, so I can still be in bed by 9. I'll just have to watch Lost on the computer.

No comments: