Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rest, Glorious Rest

I woke up this morning sore and tired. Nothing like a little Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS -- thank you Mazamas for teaching me its name) and a late night of bowling to put an end to thoughts of 5am runs. Hey, I get rest days. Without rest days, I would be in serious pain and perhaps even serious injury. When I considered my options and what I had to do today (progress report grades, teach) compared with tomorrow (teach, leave school at a reasonable hour), I decided that discretion was the better part of valor. (That is, perhaps, the most important lesson I've ever learned from Shakespeare.)

So, I rested fully today. No running. No lifting. No stretching. No climbing. No rolling. Already this evening I feel less sore than I did this morning. So tomorrow I will get up at 5 for my 3 mile run. After school, I will bowl. It will be good.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I am reading Patton's bio. (my next book is about a prison escape attempt) Not really sure why I picked up that little jem to read, but anyhoo ..

Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage - George Patton