Friday, February 20, 2009

Starting with 5th Block

I'm taking a lesson out of CK's book, and calling all of my students' parents, starting with 5th block. I wavered between starting with 4th or 5th, but I think 5th is way more disrespectful. They're pretty competent, just rude. Fourth... well, they have issues all around.

I started during my prep yesterday -- well,the portion of the prep that I had left after I ran all my other errands. I thought I would finish after school, but I forgot about the staff meeting. (I thought it was next week, because it's *always* the day before grades are due -- a really great time to have a 2 hour meeting.) No prep today, and I left at a reasonable hour so I could actually run an errand or two before 5pm. (Rach -- your presents are in the mail.) Although I still need to make it to the district office before 5 sometime next week.

ANYWAY.

I've only made it up to the M's, but it is a start. Already one student is PISSED at me because of it. So, instead of straightening himself out and doing some work, he got mad, put his head down, and did absolutely NOTHING during class. Sure kid, that's a great way to get your toys back. Yeah, Dad's gonna want to hear about that. Sure, you're made at me, but suck it up. You are the one failing. Your parents and other teachers should know what's going on. He is very capable, just unmotivated. I'm just trying to help him find some motivation. If he stops doing any work, it's not like much will have changed.

I'll keep going on Monday. Once I'm done with 5th, I'll call 4th. Then I'll target the ones that really need it in the other classes.

Oh, and in case you were wondering. Yes, EVERYONE gets a phone call. The phone call might just be to say that the child is a pleasure to have in class, but everyone gets one.

2 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

It's a smart plan. Especially the "what a great kid you have" ones. I should do more myself. Maybe that's a good March plan...

Traveling Jones said...

My classroom management guru calls them, "It's for you" phone calls -- the ones about good students. Because you get a surprised parent who is so happy to hear from you and it makes you feel good. The language barrier is such that I don't think it translates perfectly, but it's still nice to make good phone calls.